Jardín, a picturesque town set among green mountains, coffee farms, and beautiful waterfalls is for many, the most beautiful town in the Antioquia region. This Medellin Coffee tour will take you through breath-taking scenery, through the quaint town of Jardin and to a small coffee farm up in the mountains with a jaw-dropping view of the valley below where we will learn about what is involved in producing great quality coffee. Waterfall scenery, an open jeep ride or horseback riding (both at additional cost), bird watching and lunch in the hills outside of town are some of the highlights of this tour.
If you’re not so much into horse-back riding, we can customize the tour to be more scenery or coffee process oriented.
• Pick-up at your hotel in Medellín*.
• Round-trip private car transportation Medellín – Jardín – Medellín (266+ kms).
• English speaking driver / guide.
• Traditional local snack on the way.
• Traditional lunch at a coffee farm or in Jardín’s surrounding area.
• Jardín pueblo stroll and visit to a traditional sweet shop.
• Personal accident insurance
Approximate duration: 10-12 hours.
Fitness level: Medium-High
Usual pick-up time: 6:30 am if doing any of the horse rides to waterfalls or 7:00 am if riding on the Willys Jeep through scenic road to Jardín’s surrounding areas.
What to bring: Long trousers (not loose fit), hat, sun-screen, closed-in shoes, rain-jacket, insect repellent, sunglasses and extra socks.
Weather: Jardín climate is classified as tropical. May, October and November are the rainiest months. The average temperature is 18.9 ° C (66 ° F). The annual precipitation is 2,552 ml. Rain is more common in the afternoon and evening than in the morning.
Price: $330,000 COP per person if at least 3 people on the tour.
*Additional charges will apply for pick-ups or drop-offs outside the Poblado area.
We do travel with just 1-2 passengers. The total price for a group of just 1 or 2 people is the same as the total price for a group of 3. Therefore, the minimum price for this tour is $990,000 COP if there are no more than 3 people on the tour.
We appreciate payment in cash in Colombian pesos COP or in USD (Exchange rate: USD $1 = $2,700 COP ).
• Willys Jeep scenic ride:
Duration: 2 hour
Cost: Additional $50,000 COP per person (if at least 3 people on the tour).
• Horseback ride through the countryside to a coffee farm
Description: Leaving from Alto de las Flores, the ride goes through the rural area of Jardín through both flat and steep terrain. After 40 minutes riding (this time may change depending on how fast you go), we arrive at a small coffee farm where we will have lunch. This is a great place to learn about the coffee process, pick coffee berries, buy export quality coffee produced at the farm, have a traditional lunch cooked on firewood and drink freshly-roasted coffee. After 1 hour (approx.) lunch break, we ride again for about 20-30 minutes to go back to the starting place. We use light gaited working horses kept and maintained by a local farmer with more than 30 years experience running this activity.
Cost: $65,000 COP per person
Duration: 2 hours / 2 miles (3.2 km)
Number of people: We do travel with just 1 person and we take groups of 10 (ten) people max.
Age Limit: Minimum age is 12. Minors between the age of twelve (12) and eighteen (18) must have authorization in writing from their parents. To read the disclaimer, click Here.
Weight Limit: Max 100 kg (220 pounds)
Health restrictions: Pregnant women cannot do this activity (if there’s a pregnant women in your group, she can wait for the riders at the coffee farm where we have lunch or in town). If you have any special medical condition please let us know so we can be prepared in case of emergency. People with epilepsy should avoid doing this activity.
Only 1 person by horse is allowed.
To check out the map, click Here.
• Horseback ride to waterfall
Cost: Additional $75,000 COP per person if adding the horse ride to the White Fall (Chorro Blanco) or $75,000 COP per person for the Splendor Cave Waterfall
Age Limit: Minimum age is 12. Kids between twelve (12) and eighteen (18) must have authorization in writing from their parents. To read the disclaimer, click Here.
Weight Limit: Max 100 kg (220 pounds)
Health restrictions: Pregnant women can’t make this activity (if there’s a pregnant women in your group, she can wait for the riders at the coffee farm where we have lunch or in town). If you have any special medical condition please let us know so we can be prepared in case of emergency. People with epilepsy should avoid doing this activity.
Only 1 person by horse is allowed.
Please note: the waterfall trek to the Splendor Cave (La Cueva del Esplendor) requires 20-30 minutes of walking through a steep tropical rainforest. People of varied ages have managed to do it successfully but still, it’s not recommended for people with reduced mobility or below average fitness. There are other rides that require minimal walking so please let us know what amount of walking or riding would you prefer.
SPLENDOR CAVE WATERFALL TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE
Recommendations for a safe and more enjoyable ride
• Follow every single recommendation and direction given by the guide and the horse expert.
• Stirrup length should feel about 2 inches shorter than when the leg is completely stretched.
• Wear your helmet at all times while on the horse and properly buckled with the chinstrap.
• Hold the reins at all times and keep your feet in the stirrups at all times. No more than 1/4 of your shoe should go in the stirrup.
• Do not hold onto the saddle with your hands since this will make you have less control of the horse.
• The control of the horse should be done with the reins.
• Do not make sudden pulls of the reins. Pull them slowly but with strength.
• Keep a short grip of the reins with your hands closer to the mane of the horse when in need of more control.
• While going at walking pace, you may hold the reins with more slack but as soon as you start picking up speed, make sure you get a grip closer to the horse’s neck.
• While galloping, try embracing the horse with your legs.
• Never get ahead of the guide or the horse expert without their consent.
• Do not try galloping if you don’t feel confident enough or if you don’t have previous experience.
• When going downhill, do not go faster than walking speed.
• Do not hit your horse except gently with your heels to make it go faster.
• Do not carry any glass bottles or containers.
• Do not drink alcoholic beverages before or during the ride.
• Visit to the site where the Andean Cock of the Rock or Rupicola Peruvianus can be observed (time permitting).
Cost: $10,000 COP per person.
• Visit to sugar cane mill (if open and time permitting).
For customizing your trip or for staying overnight in Jardín, please send us an e-mail and we’ll get back to you with more details and costs. Hotels in Jardín start at $30,000 COP per person for a private room with hot water (during week days or twice as much during weekends).
For booking this tour to Jardín out of Medellín, please send us an email at email@example.com and let us know which dates would work best for you, how many more people are traveling with you and where would you like to be picked up. We will try to answer you within 18 hours of receiving your email.
All activities are done at your own risk. We will need you to send us your full name and passport number as required by the insurance company and by Colombian Tourism legislation.